Thursday 28 June 2012

Stop Stalking, Stop Shopping, and Start Reading

By Devonne

I spend too much time on the internet. When I'm bored or when I'm procrastinating, I creep people's facebook profiles, I shop online, or I peruse Pinterest. If you're anything like me (and I know I'm not the only one), I have some ideas for you. I'm not suggesting that you give up facebook stalking, gossip sites, or Etsy. I just think there's an argument to be made for sites that are a little more intellectual, don't make you feel guilty afterwards (I have a serious fear that I will accidentally like something and someone will find out I've creeped their profile), and won't cause your paycheque to dissapear. Thus I've decided to devote today's blog post to other blogs/websites. Sites that are pro-feminist (even if they don't explicit call themselves a feminist site) and are too fantastic for me not to share with you. So here is my list of the top four sites you can visit when you're bored, procrastinating, or pretending to work:

1.       www.feministing.com

Feministing is awesome. It’s a feminist blog but with a lot of different bloggers so there’s multiple posts daily. They post on every feminist issue imaginable – they discuss politics, movies, books, body image, LGBTQ rights, racism, you name it. Most posts are very journalistic, they read like newspaper editorials. It’s probably the most informative feminist site I’ve come across. They cover a lot of US politics in particular, but they also do some really great analysis of popular books and TV shows from a feminist perspective. If you haven’t visited Feministing yet, you are seriously missing out.

2.       www.flurtsite.com

Flurt is an Edmonton project that includes both a printed magazine and a website. I had the opportunity to go to their magazine launch party last weekend and I picked up a copy while I was there. The magazine was cool, and included some interesting pieces but what I got more excited about was their website (which I checked out as soon as I got home). It’s basically like a feminist Cosmo. While they do have articles regarding political topics and activism, it’s more lighthearted than Feministing. They have sections on Sex and Dating, Entertainment, Lifestyle, etc. I also really like that it’s a local venture. Feministing covers a lot of US news and I do think that US politics are interesting and relevant. However, it is great to read a Canadian viewpoint and hear about activism that is actually happening in my city.



Feminism + Ryan Gosling. It’s kinda my ideal combination. Basically a Gender Studies student started a tumblr with pictures of Ryan Gosling saying (imagined) feminist things. Is Ryan Gosling actually a feminist? I don’t really know. He has said and done things that could be considered feminist but honestly that’s beside the point. The tumblr is hilarious and a way to feel intellectual while staring at Ryan Gosling’s face. It shows that feminism can be fun which is important to keep in mind after a Fox News clip posted on Feministing has just made your blood boil. Also, this tumblr made me realize that guys discussing feminism is seriously attractive. Any guy who wants to talk patriarchy is going to have me enamoured pretty quickly even if he doesn’t look like Ryan Gosling. Although it wouldn’t hurt if he did look like Ryan Gosling.

*  Feminist Ryan Gosling is now a book! Which I just pre-ordered off of Amazon because I am super cool.I also impulse bought the Miss Representation DVD at the same time because it is the best movie ever.   And everyone should be required by law to see it. #kiddingnotkidding

4.       www.hellogiggles.com

This self-proclaimed “ladyblogging” site was co-founded by Zoey Deschanel. Which in my opinion, is all the reason you need to go check it out. But if Zoey Deschanel’s coolness isn’t enough to convince you, I’ll give it my best shot. Hello Giggles is a website run by creative, fun, and intelligent women and in between the sections on cute animals and nail art is some really great cultural critique (see the Social Studies section). The site appears to be aimed at tweens, and Zoey describes it as a place for young girls to see strong female role models. It’s kind of like a younger version of Flurt, fun stuff mixed in with the serious but without all the reviews of sex toys (I like Flurt a lot but I don’t know if it was necessary to have an entire section on vibrators). If I had a little sister, I’d definitely introduce her to Hello Giggles and I’ll probably visit the site myself from time to time as well.

1 comment:

  1. Im loving your blog! I am going to check all these sites out as soon as I get home. Thank you for this amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete